If there is a storm in the forecast, whether it is a blizzard or a tornado, it is something that you should take very seriously. There are some people who hope for the best and they don’t prepare for the storm. There are others who wait until it is too late. This is a mistake. Mother Nature is a brutal force. If you are not prepared, storms can damage or destroy your home and they can even be deadly. If there is a storm in the forecast, there are a few steps that you should take to protect your home, your family, and yourself.
#1 Secure Your Roof
The first thing that you should do before a big storm is making sure that your roof is secure. Go up on the roof and nail down any shingles that appear to be lifting up. This will make it more difficult for a huge gust of wind to rip the roof right off. You should also replace any missing or decaying shingles.
#2 Board Up Your Windows
One of the most important things that you should do before a storm is to cover your windows with plywood. If there is a tornado in the forecast, the winds can be strong enough to blow the windows in and shatter them. If there is a tree branch near the window or if something isn’t tightly secured outside, it can go right through the window. When you board your windows up, you won’t need to worry about replacing them after the storm clears.
#3 Secure All Objects Outdoors
A gust of wind can be strong enough to pick up your lawn furniture, sports equipment, and even your grill. Before the storm hits, you should take anything that you can lift and put it indoors. If there is anything that you cannot lift, use straps or rope to secure it to something too heavy for the wind to take.
#4 Check Your Homeowner’s Insurance Policy
Before a storm hits, it is a good idea to take a look at your homeowner’s insurance policy and see what it covers. It is important to make sure that you are fully covered in case disaster strikes. Most homeowner’s policies don’t include flood coverage. If you are living in an area where a flood is possible and heavy rains are expected, you should consider adding flood insurance to your policy. If your home is flooded and you aren’t covered, it can be expensive and in some cases impossible to clean up the flood after the storm.
#5 Reinforce Your Garage Doors
Garage doors can be blown in during a severe storm. If you have an attic above your garage, the wind can rip your house apart. Reinforcing the doors is relatively easy. Start by installing a vertical garage brace and then reinforce it with wooden beams installed horizontally.
#6 Stock Up
One of the most important things to do before a storm is to stock up on supplies. When the storm clears, you will have no idea how long it will be before you have electricity, clean water, and access to food. Before a storm, you should stock up on the following:
- Water- A three day supply per person in the home
- Food- Canned goods, Meal, Ready to Eat (MRE), and any food that doesn’t need to be refrigerated or frozen. You should have a three day supply for each person in the home.
- Batteries and flashlights- When the power is out, you are going to need light to see at night. Each member of the family should have their own flashlight along with a supply of batteries.
- Candles- If you don’t want to sit in the dark all night and you don’t want to waste the batteries in your flashlight, you should have a supply of candles.
- Gasoline- If the power in your area is out for days and you need to drive your car, you might not be able to find an operating gas station. To be on the safe side, you should fill the gas tank on your vehicle and also fill up a few gas cans. This should tide you over until the power in your area comes back on.
Severe storms can result in billions of dollars of damage, serious injuries, and even death. The better prepared you are for a storm before it hits, the safer you will be. According to Ready.gov, you should start stocking up when you are put under a storm watch. You can wait to reinforce your windows, garage, and everything outdoors until you are put under a storm warning and the storm is expected to hit your area.
For more information regarding services that you may need after the storm, visit https://tomdrexlerplumbing.com/.